JOINT REPLACEMENT AS A TEAM EFFORT
The Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital Process.
| Major Joint Replacement Video
Unlike hospitals that offer "joint Camps" where every patient is treated the same way, Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital offers individualized care for each patient based on his/her own unique situation. From diagnosis through surgery, aftercare and rehab, our physicians, surgeons and therapists are experienced, compassionate, and thoroughly up-to-date on the latest procedures and technologies. With their help, you can regain strength, endurance, balance and mobility for optimal, healthy independence.
Meet Our Physicians
|Take Our 6 Point Quiz
• Do you avoid making plans with friends and family because of your pain?
• Does joint pain prevent or interrupt your sleep?
• Have you tried different medications, some of which worked for a time (but don’t anymore)?
• Has it become difficult or impossible to ride a bike, play golf, or do other things you enjoy?
• Is it difficult to climb stairs, get up from a chair, exit a car, or lift something overhead?
• Does your hip or knee pain increase with prolonged standing or walking?
Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital has a team of highly trained orthopedic surgeons specializing in hip and knee replacement, foot and ankle orthopedics, arthritis care, carpal tunnel surgery, shoulder care, and hand and wrist care. Pictured is R. Joseph Grierson, DO (left), and Michael Kennedy, MD (right).
Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital’s physical therapists perform a comprehensive evaluation in which they evaluate posture, range of motion, functional movement, pain, and strength. Orthopedic physical therapy is administered through one-on-one care to better fit the patient’s specific needs to help the patient recover the skills and develop the strategies to resume their daily activities. On average, therapy sessions generally last 30 to 60 minutes and may include stretching, manual therapy and exercises, as well as educating the patient on their condition.
It is the goal of Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital's orthopedic physical therapists to help patients:
- Restore physical function
- Enhance skills needed to perform daily activities
- Build strength and endurance
- Improve balance and mobility
- Optimize independence
Orthopedic surgeons use a variety of diagnostic tests to help identify the specific nature of your musculoskeletal injury or condition. Orthopedists also use results of these tests to plan an appropriate course of treatment. Here are some of the most frequently used diagnostic tests for musculoskeletal injuries and conditions.
Patient Centered Care
As a major joint replacement patient, you will receive:
- Blood Tests
- Bone Density Test
- CT Scan
- Flexibility Tests
- Joint Aspiration and Analysis
- Laboratory Studies
- Muscle Tests
- Nerve Conduction Study
- Physical Examination
- Range of Motion Testing
Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital strives for excellence and places great emphasis on clinical quality. Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital is at or above the national average and exceeds the Hospital Quality Alliance benchmarks for nearly every key quality health indicator for knee and hip replacement services. Our infection rates for joint replacement are among the lowest in the nation.
- The benefits of nationally-ranked orthopedic care
- Individualized, compassionate care
- Streamlined, coordinated pre-admission testing
- Pre-surgical visit with a physical therapist
- Private patient room
- Comprehensive orthopedic education booklet
- SHLH sweatpants for you to take home
- Post-operative massage therapy
- Home Care liaison visit before discharge
- Participation in the National Joint Registry
Local Care. National Recognition
At Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital, our Orthopedic Care is ranked in the top 8% of hospitals nationwide for medical excellence. Furthermore, Memorial Medical Center is ranked in the top 9% for medical excellence in General Surgery and top 7% for patient safety in Joint Replacement and Major Orthopedic Surgery. Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital’s orthopedic services include consultation, inpatient management and outpatient treatment for problems arising from acute and chronic injuries and/or changes in the musculoskeletal system. Whether by accident, overuse, or long-term wear and tear, our bones, cartilage, muscles, tendons and ligaments may break down. Our team of orthopedic specialists delivers a full range of services dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and rehabilitation of joint, skeletal, and muscular injury and disease.