When you are scheduled for surgery at Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital, during your doctor’s office visit they will also schedule a time for a Pre-Admission Testing phone call. The date and time of that phone call will be given to you during that visit. If you are unable to keep this appointment time, it will be necessary for you to contact the Pre-Admission Testing Department at 231-845-2347 to reschedule your appointment. If an appointment is not conducted at least 72 hours prior to your surgery date, your surgery can be postponed and rescheduled for a later time. You should also receive a Surgery Information Packet during your visit to the physician office. Please have your packet handy for all pre-operative appointments.
This call is necessary for us to obtain needed medical information and to schedule your preadmission testing visit. This telephone call will take approximately 20 minutes and can be made during the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Our nurses are conducting interviews all day, so please leave a message if your call is not answered.
Pre-Surgery Phone Call
Please have the following information available:
- Current medications, including the doses. It is helpful if you have your pill bottles for this information.
- History of past surgeries.
- All medical history
- Surgery Information Packet. Space is provided on the front of this packet for you to record the date and time of your preadmission testing visit once it is scheduled.
Pre-Admission (Pre-Op)Testing Visit
This is the day you will have your testing done for surgery
- You will need to register in our Admissions Department. Please arrive 5-10 minutes before your appointment time.
- Please bring your Surgery Information Packet to all hospital appointments.
- Pre-Admission testing may include blood tests, urine tests, and electro-cardiogram (EKG), and/or a chest x-ray.
- Allow 1-2 hours to complete your preadmission testing visit.
Day of Surgery
- You will need to arrange for a responsible adult to bring you to the hospital, stay during surgery and drive you home, and to remain with you during the first 24 hours. Your surgery will be cancelled if a responsible adult can not be present to drive you home when you are ready to leave.
- Most patients will be instructed not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before their surgery.
- Please bring your Surgery Information Packet.
- With certain surgeries a blood bank band will be given to you during your pre-op testing appointment. Please be sure to bring that band with you the day of surgery.
- Bring any crutches/walker/incentive spirometer or other equipment with you as instructed by the nurse.
- If you have an advance directive or a durable power of attorney for health care, please bring a copy with your for placement on your chart.
- Take any medications the staff has instructed you to take the morning of surgery.
- If you are s woman of child bearing age, you may be asked to submit a urine specimen.
- You may brush your teeth and gargle on the morning of surgery; please do not swallow the water.
- Shower/bathe the night before or the morning of surgery. Please DO NOT use body lotion or bath oil after bathing.
- Remove makeup and nail polish before you arrive.
- Wear casual, loose fitting, and comfortable clothing. A gown will be provided.
- Notify your physician of any change in your physical condition such as a bad cold, sore throat or fever.
- Leave all valuables and jewelry at home. All body piercing must be removed prior to surgery. If you wear glasses or contacts, please bring a case for their safekeeping.